Sunday, January 18, 2009

Healthy Mango Shake



I just hate milk, but with all the importance given to Calcium intake for women I just know I have to do something about it.


Osteoporosis affects 9 million women, adequate daily calcium is essential in maintaining bone strength. Calcium helps build stronger bones, and vitamin D helps the body better use calcium.


The amount of calcium that a woman should get per day ranges from 1000mg-1500mg, depending her age group, and hormonal state.

a) Ages 11-24 (adolescents and young adults): 1200-1500 mg

b) Ages 25-50: 1000 mg

c) Pregnant and nursing: 1200-1500 mg

d) Older than 50 (postmenopausal): on estrogens: 1000 mg , not on estrogens: 1500 mg

e) Older than 65: 1500 mg


So if you are anything like me who likes milk only in coffee/tea, then this shake is for you.


This is a favorite with my kids too. I have used splenda instead of sugar and also Carnation Instant Breakfast Mix. This mix has 2 times the protein of an egg and 2 times the calcium of yogurt. Adding this mix to Milk almost doubles the amout of calcium and protein. This instant breakfast comes in 3 flavors Chocolate, Strawberry and Classic French Vanilla. I have used Classic French Vanilla for this recipe













Carnation instant breakfast was recommended to me by my daughters pediatrition. Now not only my kids but the whole family enjoys this shake.









Ingredients

Milk 2% - 1 Glass

Splenda/ Sugar - 1 and 1/2 tsp (adjust as per taste)

Mango Pulp - 3 tbsp (adjust as per taste)

Carnation instant breakfast(Vanilla) - 1/2 packet

In a tall glass add all the ingredients and mix well. Serve Cold

























No comments:

Post a Comment